At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing technologies that solve business problems. We’re a billion dollar S&P 500 company offering solutions from Linux to middleware, storage to cloud, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services.
Our Red Hat Internationalization Engineering team in Pune, India, is seeking an intern to work on improving the Indian open source fonts. In this internship, you'll work closely with senior software engineers on the team to develop and improve these fonts, learn about OpenType technology, and gain experience on open source development. This project will last for six months. As an Intern, you'll work on Red Hat's Internationalization Engineering team to improve the OpenType support in the open source Lohit Indian fonts. This position is a great opportunity to learn about Indian language computing, Fedora package maintenance, Git, and Python.
Primary job responsibilities
- Learn and understand Indian language open source computing
- Gain an in-depth understanding of OpenType font technology including GSUB and GPOS rules.
- Work on improving Lohit fonts, making it a standard reference Indian OpenType font
- Work on re-writing the OpenType tables for Lohit Bengali, Devanagari, Gujarati, Oriya, Telugu, and Kannada
- Contribute to Fedora internationalization
- Discuss results, progress, and next steps for the project
- Currently studying for or have a bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related subject
- Experience in C and other programming languages
- Interest in improving Linux open source support for Indian scripts
- Desire to work on fonts and i18n technology and development
- Understanding of OS internationalization
- C or Python programming knowledge
- Familiarity with Linux and open source development
- Experience with Git
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, military status or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.